Saturday, September 10, 2011

The cloud is lifting


I never really understood why people took antidepressants. After all, how could medications help you feel better or lighten the burden of the depression? And what about those side effects?  

Never thought I would go on anti-depressant but I had to do something. I was started on escitalopram 10 mg daily. For the first few weeks I felt nothing but noticed side effects. I experienced extreme fatigue which was difficult to control. Sometime I would even dose off in meetings which was very embarrassing. I had diarrhea but this subsided after the first week. Then of course there was the typical decrease in libido which I had read about. The decreased libido did come fast, but it wasn’t as strong as I had anticipated. I did howver succumb to the psychological aspect of taking antidepressants. At first, I felt defeated. After all, I am relying on while litter pills in order to cope with life. I am still fighting those feelings.

After a few weeks, I noticed that I didn’t have the same high level of anxiety as usual. I seem to be calmer and not spending most of the day worrying. Some days are still dark, but not as gloomy as usual. I don’t know if this is truly attributed to the medication or if other factors are in play. All I know is that something is working. The cloud of depression seems to be lifting.



No comments:

Post a Comment